Virginia Gun Laws
Jsson Weeks
2005-01-02 03:37:15 UTC
I wanted to get someone to confirm what I have been told
regarding Virginia gun laws. I was informed that anyone can
"openly" carry a pistol on your waist - just as long as it
is not concealed. Is this true?

1. Can you carry your gun into restaurants and stores?

2. Will the police stop and harass you if they see this?

3. Do many people carry "open" guns on their waist?

4. If you are driving and get pulled over for a traffic
stop, do you tell the officer "I'm armed?" ... and do they
make you get out and get on your knees?

Also, can non-residents carry openly when traveling through
the state of Virginia? Any information would be appreciated.

I wonder if this practice has cut down on crime, overall?

Thanks.

Jason
Keith A. Glass
2005-01-02 14:15:03 UTC
Post by Jsson Weeks
I wanted to get someone to confirm what I have been told
regarding Virginia gun laws. I was informed that anyone can
"openly" carry a pistol on your waist - just as long as it
is not concealed. Is this true?
1. Can you carry your gun into restaurants and stores?
Yep, and I've seen it done
Post by Jsson Weeks
2. Will the police stop and harass you if they see this?
Not that I've seen
Post by Jsson Weeks
4. If you are driving and get pulled over for a traffic
stop, do you tell the officer "I'm armed?" ... and do they
make you get out and get on your knees?
No.
Post by Jsson Weeks
Also, can non-residents carry openly when traveling through
the state of Virginia? Any information would be appreciated.
That would depend on reciprocity agreements between the states in
quesiton. . .
Post by Jsson Weeks
I wonder if this practice has cut down on crime, overall?
Well, here's a hint: There's an armed carjacking on the order of once
a week or more in DC and Suburban Maryland. I can't remember the most
recent armed carjacking in Virginia.

However, I'd say that was more to do with Virginia's Concealed Carry
Laws than Open Carry. . .
John Gilmer
2005-01-05 01:42:58 UTC
Post by Keith A. Glass
Post by Jsson Weeks
2. Will the police stop and harass you if they see this?
Not that I've seen
Yes but ...

Virginia now has "must issue" concealed carry laws.

The old law required the permission of the local cops and the local judge;
the new law only requires you have a "clean" record, be a resident, and take
a gun handling class (and vets don't need that.)

Part of the political support for the new law came from folks who actually
were or fear to be harassed by cops when they had the need/desire to carry.
There were "stories" about Northern VA cops arresting the open carry folks
for either carrying conceal weapons (when the cops could not see the weapon
"at first glance" ) or for "brandishing" when it was impossible to miss the
weapon.

One actual case I remember was a homeowner in Spotsylvania County saw
someone lunking about his property at night. He called the cops (actually
to sheriff office) and also when out with his pistol to check things for
himself. When the deputy showed up he put his weapon in his pocket. The
deputy arrested him on a concealed weapon charge.

If you live in VA and want to routinely carry a weapon, get a concealed
carry permit. It's good insurance against asshole cops.
Bert Hyman
2005-01-02 16:56:14 UTC
http://www.nra-ila.org/GunLaws/Default.aspx, click on Virginia.
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN ***@visi.com
Robert
2005-01-01 18:06:01 UTC
Post by Jsson Weeks
I wanted to get someone to confirm what I have been told
regarding Virginia gun laws. I was informed that anyone can
"openly" carry a pistol on your waist - just as long as it
is not concealed. Is this true?
Check out this web site:

www.packing.org

Great site to check out state laws from all 50 states.
--
Regards
Robert

Smile... it increases your face value!
Guv Bob
2005-01-02 20:06:30 UTC
Thanks for that site, Robert!

Folks should go to their state and see what the gubmint is doing to their
local gun laws. For example, I always thought to be a "loaded firearm", a
bullet had to be in the gun. Butt, heck, I guess I'm wrong as usual....

From Calif Penal code 12001:
"For purposes of Section 12023, a firearm shall be deemed to be "loaded"
whenever both the firearm and the unexpended ammunition capable of being
discharged from the firearm are in the immediate possession of the same
person.

Guv "Sorry bout the cross postings!" BoB
SkyPilot
2005-01-03 01:55:10 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by Jsson Weeks
I wanted to get someone to confirm what I have been told
regarding Virginia gun laws. I was informed that anyone can
"openly" carry a pistol on your waist - just as long as it
is not concealed. Is this true?
www.packing.org
Great site to check out state laws from all 50 states.
Robert,

Thanks for the great site.

Brian
Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares wins"
Lt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
B.S. Comm/I/SEL Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
Check out my home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
Some of my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/34185.html
"Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"
Beartooth
2005-01-05 00:29:41 UTC
I wanted to get someone to confirm what I have been told regarding
Virginia gun laws. I was informed that anyone can "openly" carry a pistol
on your waist - just as long as it is not concealed. Is this true?
snip
Also, can non-residents carry openly when traveling through the state of
Virginia? Any information would be appreciated.
www.vcdl.org

Follow-ups restricted.
--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
For once I know a whole lot on what I'm talking about!
Jason
2005-01-09 05:28:16 UTC
Yes you can carry as long as you are not a prohibited individual. Keep the
weapon in common view. When transporting , put it on the seat next to you.
If you get stopped by the Police, tell them you have a weapon if they do not
see it. Also, expect to have some Police company if you walk down the
street and enter a business wearing a handgun on your side.